Scoliosis is most often diagnosed in adolescents, but it can start at any age. The spinal curvature can occur in people suffering from conditions like cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy. Scoliosis is a progressive condition with no known cure. The main goal of the treatment of scoliosis aims at reducing the curvature of the spine. Only doctors and chiropractors trained in scoliosis-specific therapy and rehabilitation can effectively treat scoliosis patients.
There are several misconceptions related to scoliosis, like carrying heavy backpacks, incorrect sleeping postures, etc. However, health experts rebuff all such causes.Type of Scoliosis
Mild scoliosis does not disturb your daily activity, but it can even cause breathing problems and other health issues when severe. Scoliosis can be categorized in 5 types based on the age it starts and symptoms.
- Congenital Scoliosis: Spinal abnormalities that grow in the womb.
- Early Onset Scoliosis: It starts before the age of 10.
- Adolescent Scoliosis: It starts in the adolescent age between 10 to 18.
- Degenerative Scoliosis: When degeneration of the spine causes spinal curvature on one side.
- Neuromuscular Scoliosis: Spinal curvature caused by the problems in brains and muscles; when nerves and muscles fail to maintain right alignment.
The treatment of scoliosis depends on the curve type, location of curvature, and cause. Minor curves typically require regular monitoring. The treatment options include exercises, bracing, and surgery. Approximately 90% of patients' curves never progress with regular preventive treatments. In very rare conditions, doctors advise going for surgery. The 4 treatments for scoliosis are:
- Observation: For spinal curvatures less than 25 degrees, the doctor advises close monitoring. Every 4 to 6 months, the patient's curvature is examined by X-ray. It helps doctors diagnose if the curve is progressing.
- Conservative treatment: Chiropractors and physiotherapists can help in preventive treatments that involve various exercises depending on the location of the curve. Targeted scoliosis programs allow patients to steadily correct movement problems and change the position of the spine.
- Bracing: For scoliosis that has progressed beyond 25 degrees, doctors may prescribe back braces till the person reaches full skeletal maturity. The braces help in avoiding injuries, and the curve getting worse.
- Surgery: If the curve continues to progress, the doctor advises surgery.
7DMC is one of the most premium destinations for rehabilitative physical therapies in Dubai. We provide a cohesive orthopedic department that supervises various physical therapy requirements such as sports medicine, physiotherapy, chiropractor, and surgeries. Sometimes focusing on one approach might not prove helpful for the patient who has scoliosis. That is why at our clinic, we offer our patients multiple forms of treatments like physiotherapy, chiropractic therapy, rehabilitation, and corrective bracing.
Together these approaches can reduce a spinal curvature effectively. An integrated approach is advisable to treat scoliosis at a structural level. We strongly believe each of our patients is unique and must receive customized treatment. Our doctors treat patients with varying degrees of scoliosis. Every treatment plan is based on the individual's condition and physical limitations.
Book an appointment with our doctor if you are dealing with scoliosis or any other spinal issues. Our doctors will provide you with the best possible treatment plan.