Language and Speech Delay
Language and speech delay comes under the category of communication disorders. There are a lot of individuals who take a bit of extra time to complete their sentences. This medical condition is quite common, especially amongst young ones. You might be shocked to know that 5-10 percent of primary school students are affected by speech delay. There are two main types of speech delay, which are mentioned below
1) Receptive - This Language delay happens when the individual is unable to understand the language properly.
2) Expressive - Expressive language delay happens when the individual finds it difficult to communicate verbally.Causes of speech delay
There can be several factors that can lead to language delay, although one or more causes can also be there for this medical condition
- Hearing inability - Individuals with hearing impairment are most likely to have a speech delay as well. Learning to communicate for them becomes pretty tricky as they are deprived of listening to the language.
- Autism - It is illustrated that not all individuals diagnosed with autism can have speech delay. Although some proportions of individuals can have speech delay as a result of autism.
- Intellectual disabilities - There can be a lot of intellectual disabilities which can lead to speech delay. Dyslexia is a prevalent example of this category.
- Psychological problems - If you consume medications for anxiety and depression for a long time, you might have speech delay.
- Use of drugs - Smoking and taking certain substances, such as heroin, recreational drugs, marijuana, and hashish, can cause speech impairment.
- Difficulty in sentence formation.
- Missing out words during communication.
- Taking more time than usual to complete the sentences.
- Difficulty in pronouncing words.
- Finding it challenging to follow the directions given.
- In the case of children, if they are not talking at all till 2 years of age.
These are only a few of the most prevalent signs and symptoms that patients should be aware of. If they see even a single sign in their body, they should seek medical attention immediately.How can 7DMC help you?
If you have any speech-related disorders, especially speech delays, we have highly qualified and experienced pathologists at 7DMC to help you out. Our speech-language pathologists will evaluate to determine the exact reason behind the medical condition. They will investigate if it is due to receptive or expressive language, which is the most fundamental. Our specialists will inform you of the appropriate therapy when they have completed all relevant exams.
We strongly advise you to get treatment for this medical problem as soon as possible. Our pathologist can assist you in completely overcoming this disease in the early stages and support you to get 7 dimensions of wellness. If surgery is necessary, we have several excellent surgeons who can complete the procedure successfully.
Finally, it is critical to get therapy as early as possible since this will help you avoid other concerns such as learning and comprehension difficulties.