STD is transmitted during sexual contact with a person already suffering from STD – primarily through anal, oral, or vaginal sex. Thus, the name is sexually transmitted, as the infection spreads primarily through semen or vaginal fluids. It can, however, be transmitted through blood transfusions, sharing needles, and nursing. The other common names of STDs are STI or sexually transmitted infection and VD or Venereal disease.Types of STDs
There are about twenty types of STDs. The common ones:
- Chlamydia is a bacterial contagion, caused by Chlamydia trachomatis. It affects the rectum and throat of both men and women. It also affects the cervix of women and the urethra in men.
- Genital Herpes is spread by the Herpes simplex virus and affects men and women's thighs, buttocks, and genital parts. This infection can be passed onto newborns by their mothers.
- Gonorrhea is an STD caused by bacteria and is mostly sexually transmitted. It can lead to PID in women and men, pain during urinating, and discharge from the penis. • HPV or Human papillomavirus is an infection spread by a virus causing warts on different body parts. It is a disease that spreads sexually and has skin-to-skin contact.
- HPV or Human papillomavirus is an infection spread by a virus causing warts on different body parts. It is a disease that spreads sexually and has skin-to-skin contact.
- Pubic Lice is a lice infestation in the genital areas of human beings. Since these lice cannot fly, they crawl and therefore can spread via sexual contact.
- Trichomoniasis is a parasitic STD passed during sex from one person to another. In women, it can lead to vaginitis.
- Syphilis is caused by bacteria that infect parts like the lips and mouth of a person. It also infects the anus and genital parts and begins as a painless sore.
- HIV/AIDS - HIV is caused by the human immunodeficiency virus that attacks the immune system, killing white blood cells. It can lead to severe diseases like cancers and can be fatal. AIDS refers to the first stage of HIV infection.
STDs or Sexually Transmitted diseases are infections caused by micro-organisms like viruses, parasites, and bacteria.Symptoms of STDs and Infection
Each of these STD types has its own set of symptoms. The generic symptoms are as follows:
- Pain in the abdominal region
- Itchiness at the anal and/or genital region.
- Frequent urinating accompanied by pain.
- Redness or soreness in the anal and/or genital region.
- Warts on the genital area
- Unusual vaginal odor
- Abnormal discharge from the genital parts
- Blisters around the lips and mouth.
STDs can cause symptoms, as mentioned above, or may not present any symptoms at all. Individuals who have been exposed to STD must consult our specialist doctors at 7DMC to get tested. There are different tests for different STD types and are covered under STD Screening tests. However, STD screening is not usually a part of routine tests. Hence, individuals need to request these tests proactively. Some of these are:
- Pap smear for HIV
- Blood Test for Syphilis and Herpes.
- Swab and urine tests for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
- Oral swab and blood test for HIV/AIDS
- Vaginal Swab and Urine tests for Trichomoniasis
Our doctors will advise medication like antibiotics and antiviral drugs to treat the infection based on test reports. Besides, our doctors recommend confiding in your partners to restrict the spread of the disease.