Moxibustion is the name of a Chinese therapy that involves heat. It is a traditional practice from China and is now being practiced all over the world. Small cones of dried mugwort leaves are burnt on designated points directly on the body or very close to the body. Instead of cones, practitioners might use sticks too. These points or meridians are usually the same points where acupuncture is performed. It is named after the Artemisia moxa plant or wormwood plant. The belief behind Moxibustion is that heat therapy on certain points helps increase blood circulation and relieves pain better.When is Moxibustion advised?
Practitioners advise Moxibustion when a person is suffering from:
- Digestive-related problems
- The pain of bones, muscles, or joints like arthritis, back pain, muscle stiffness
- Pain due to injury
- Gynecological problems like menstrual cramps, infertility, etc.
- To fight common cold and flu symptoms
Ancient Chinese medicine advises using Moxibustion to stimulate Qi or energy that strengthens the circulatory system and the individual's overall health. When Qi circulation increases in the human body, it is fortified to fight diseases like chronic pain and digestive issues.Benefits
Studies show that Moxibustion has impressive benefits. A synopsis of these studies is:
- In one study, the effect of Moxibustion has been studied on the production of serum Creatinine. It was found that the ancient procedure help reduces production, thereby helping patients suffering from chronic kidney problems.
- Similarly, another study was conducted on women in their postmenopausal stage. It was found that regular sessions of Moxibustion helped in reducing the frequency and severity of hot flashes.
- Moxibustion has proven to be an effective alternative treatment method for Breech Birth.
How can 7DMC help?
At the Department of Chinese Medicine at 7DMC, our board-certified acupuncturists are professionally trained and licensed in Moxibustion. At our clinic, the specialists use Moxibustion and acupuncture to treat diseases, making each technique more effective.Treatment procedure
At 7DMC, our expert practitioners use both the direct and indirect Moxibustion methods.
- Direct method – in this method, the cone is made to rest on the exact site where the treatment is required. The practitioner ignites one end of the cone. The cone is now left to burn gradually on the body. Slowly, as the patient feels the heat and the skin begins to turn red, our experts remove the cone.
- Indirect method – in this case, an acupuncture needle is used to place the moxa cones. The cones are then ignited and let to burn till they are extinguished. The heat from the cones is transferred to the body via the needle. In most cases, our practitioners use this method as it is a safer option. Sometimes, instead of the acupuncture needles, our specialist practitioners first apply a layer of salt to the body. The moxa cones are then placed on the salt as it acts as an insulator.
Our state-of-the-art clinic is well-equipped and licensed for these holistic alternate treatment methods with an impeccable track record. Every care is taken to ensure safe and effective treatment.